Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Pre-travel food

Eliot and I leave the house tonight to drive up to Portland so we don't have to do all our traveling at once. Since we are leaving the house for such a long time, we have tried to do all the necessary things to ensure the house is ok by itself... put the plants on an automatic timer, take out the trash, clean everything, etc. About a week ago I turned to Eliot and said, "you know, we probably shouldn't buy any groceries since we are going to be out of town for so long."

Don't you know it, I was true to my word. We have been eating the oddest things since that time trying to empty the fridge of anything and everything we could consume. Pickles have become the new vegetable around the house. Tonight, my dinner consisted of 4 frozen ravioli and carrots with hummus. Eliot has been heating a lot of ramen, and I am pretty sure I've had canned soup for lunch every day this week. Looking back, I wish I had gone grocery shopping. Eating dry cereal and turkey burgers 4 nights in a row can give you great hindsight.

So now we take off to drive to Portland and drop the cat off with my mother. Two hours with a whiney cat... great. We are about a day behind the choir since we needed cheaper tickets, but we should get to Glasgow before everyone leaves, barring any travel problems.

I think I will have a pickle for dessert and hit the road!

No comments: